- Christian Worship: God Gives His Gospel Gifts, the final volume in the People’s Bible Teachings book series by Northwestern Publishing House, to be published in late spring or early summer of 2021.
- Lord Jesus Christ, Our Savior King, a seven-stanza hymn about the public ministry, to be published in the forthcoming WELS hymnal in 2021.
- Worship and the Right Brain, in Worship the Lord, No. 79 (July 2016), a bi-monthly newsletter about worship from the WELS Commisison on Worship.
- Worship Words: Catholicity, in Worship the Lord, No. 40 (January 2010).
- Come, Lord Jesus, a children’s Christmas service, Northwestern Publishing House, 2009.
- Christian Worship: Supplement — Divine Services, in Worship the Lord, No. 33 (November 2008).
- Christian Worship: Supplement — Introductory Resources booklet, general editor and author of the article, “Prayers of Thanksgiving” (pp. 16-19), WELS Commission on Worship, September 2008.
- Proclaiming the Gospel in Worship, Wisconsin Lutheran Quarterly, Vol. 105 No. 4 (Fall 2008), pp. 248-284.
- Lutheran Worship Myths, workshop presented at the WELS Southeastern Wisconsin District Worship Conference, St. John’s Lutheran Church, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, July 13, 2019. Much of this presentation will be included in the forthcoming volume on Christian Worship in the People’s Bible Teachings series of books (see above under “published works”), therefore due to copyright reasons, a link to the outline is not provided here.
- Enhancing the Liturgical Year, workshop presented at the WELS National Conference on Worship, Music, and the Arts, Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, Minnesota, and Martin Luther College, New Ulm, Minnesota, July 19-22, 2011, and Carthage College, Kenosha, Wisconsin, July 22-25, 2014.
- Neither Papistic nor Karlstadtian: Luther’s Principles of Adiaphora Applied to the Liturgical Life of the Church, essay presented at the WELS Arizona-California District Pastoral Conference, St. Paul’s First Lutheran Church, North Hollywood, California, October 20, 2009.
- Worship Education and Exploration Month, workshop presented at the WELS National Conference on Worship, Music, and the Arts, Gustavus Adolphus College, July 28-31, 2008.
- Exegetical Presentation on 3 John 9-15, essay presented to the WELS Northern California Study Conference, St. John Lutheran Church, Vacaville, California, April 28, 2008.
- Organist Workshop, presented at St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, Citrus Heights, California, July 22, 2006.
- Exegesis of Ephesians 1:15-23, essay presented at the WELS Arizona-California District Pastoral Conference, Water of Life Lutheran Church, Las Vegas, Nevada, October 19, 2004.
During his time as the District Worship Coordinator of the WELS Arizona-California District, Pastor Strey prepared a number of practical resources for the pastors and churches of the district and beyond. Several of these resources are included here:
- Advent Sermon Series Ideas
- Alternate Confessions of Faith
- Christmas & Epiphany Chart
- Church Year Season Summaries
- Midweek Lent Service Ideas
- Responsive Dialogues for Worship
- Tackling Tough Tunes
Johnold Strey is the organist on the Proclaim Freedom to the Captives, a CD of the 1998 tour concert of the Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary Chorus. The recording includes two organ solos, performed on the Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary chapel’s 25-rank Martin Ott tracker pipe organ.
- Kyrie, O God, the Holy Ghost, from Klavierübung, by J.S. Bach
- Lord, Keep Us Steadfast in Your Word, by Jan Bender
Pastor Strey has organized and participated in a number of hymn festival concerts.
- 2019 Hymn Festival with the Kettle Moraine Lutheran Adult Chorale, Crown of Life Lutheran Church, Hubertus, Wisconsin
- 2014 Pastors’ Conference Hymn Festival, St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, Citrus Heights, California; on-demand streaming video of this program is also available under the “Media” heading below
- 2014 Ascension Hymn Festival, Hope Lutheran Church, Penryn, California
- 2010 Hymn Festival of Paul Manz music, Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, Belmont, California
- 2006 Pastors’ Conference Hymn Festival, St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, Citrus Heights, California
- 2005 Hymn Festival, Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, Belmont, California
- 2003 Hymn Festival, Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, Belmont, California
- 2002 Hymn Festival, Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, Belmont, California
- Crown of Life Lutheran Sermon Podcast. Audio of Pastor Strey’s sermons are recorded and archived on Apple Podcasts.
- WELS “Welcome Home” Video, released June 2019. This video is a part of the WELS Congregational Services “Welcome Home” campaign and resources for use in the fall of 2019. The video includes footage of worship at Crown of Life Lutheran Church in Hubertus, Wisconsin, on Sunday, May 19, 2019.
- Podcast with Peter Hagen on April 5, 2017. This interview with the pastor of Shepherd of the Lakes Lutheran Church, Fairmont, Minnesota, discussed Lutheran worship especially in connection with Lent and Holy Week.
- WELS Together Video Update on March 28, 2017. This video interview was about the 2017 WELS National Worship Conference, in which I was interviewed with one of my daughters, who described her experience as a member of the children’s choir at the 2014 WELS worship conference.
- Radio interview on KFYI, 710 AM Sacramento, recorded on December 15, 2015. This interview with the pastors at St. Mark’s Lutheran Church in Citrus Heights, California, was featured during the stations “Church of the Week” segment.
- Hymn Festival on October 22, 2014. This hymn festival was held at St. Mark’s Lutheran Church in Citrus Heights, California, in connection with a pastors’ conference that the congregation hosted. A link to the program is included above under the “Performances” heading.
- Audio of “Proclaiming the Gospel in Worship,” an essay published in Wisconsin Lutheran Quarterly, Vol. 105, No. 4 (Fall 2008), pp. 248-284. A link to a PDF version of the essay is found under the “Published Works” heading above. Note that the audio version is the same as the published version, while the PDF link under “Published Works” above contains the corrected version that was intended for publication but was inadvertently not used; see page 1 of the corrected version for further information.